Firefighter critically injured in arson awakes after medically-induced coma

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.– A firefighter placed under a medically-induced coma after he was critically injured fighting an arson last week continues to recover and is in excellent spirits, said doctors Monday.

Private Chris McGrone, 38, was transported to Methodist Hospital last Friday after suffering from smoke inhalation. Officials with the Indianapolis Fire Department said McGrone’s regulator mask came off while he was fighting a blaze in a vacant home located in the 1500 block of Columbia Ave.

Doctors said there were three major concerns they had about smoke inhalation, including poisoning from carbon monoxide or cyanide, burns in his lungs and long-term scarring in the lungs.

Monday, doctors were able to remove the breathing tube from McGrone and they said he was able to speak and is in excellent spirits. McGrone’s condition was listed as being stable.

Doctors said they plan to have McGrone released from the hospital by Wednesday.

An IMPD source told Fox59 News that detectives suspected the house to be a site of illegal gambling otherwise known as a “pea shake” house. Those in the neighborhood also acknowledged that it was a place to gamble. Now. many are searching for reasons why someone would burn it down.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News