Discarded cigarette believed to be cause of 2-alarm fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Indianapolis firefighters worked to extinguish a 2-alarm fire on the city’s east side Friday.

Fire broke out in the 2100 block of Sussex Lane around 8 p.m. That’s near 21st Street and Post Road.

One building at the Warren Harbor Apartments had flames shooting through the roof when crews arrived on the scene. It is believed someone discarded a lit cigarette in the second floor hallway, sparking the fire.

“(My daughter)came by and started hollering. She said, ‘Oh my Lord, oh my Lord, the house is on fire!’ And so me and my daughter, we struck out running and came over here and all we saw was smoke coming out of the chimney, out of the top of the building,” said resident Augustus Mitchell.

Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control shortly after arriving on scene.

While no injuries were reported, damages are estimated at $600,000. A total of 12 units were impacted.

This apartment complex was also the site of a fatal fire back in 2010.

  • fire9
  • fire1
  • fire2
  • fire3
  • fire4
  • fire5
  • fire6
  • fire7
  • fire8

Most Popular

Latest News

More News