This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FISHERS (July 25, 2014) – A Fishers teenager and his parents will file a lawsuit after the teen was attacked by a police dog last month.

According to court documents, Brandon Murphy, 19, was injured while police were responding to a deadly stabbing involving two other teenagers on the night of June 22, 2014.

Murphy—who was arrested but wasn’t involved in the stabbing and faces no charges in connection with it—suffered injuries “to the torso, arms, legs and genitals,” according to the tort claim filed by the family.

The suit claims Murphy obeyed orders given to him by the responding officers and was not a threat. It claims officers violated his right to “freedom from illegal seizure and his right to freedom from unlawful arrest and the use of excessive force.”

Murphy said he suffered injuries and severe physical pain during the encounter. The family is seeking compensation for his medical bills and emotional suffering.

In its official review of the case, the Fishers Police Department said officers didn’t violate any departmental rules. Police said the scene was chaotic and that a responding officer asked a group of people to lead them to the stabbing victim.

A K-9 officer who’d arrived on scene saw Murphy running and ordered him to stop. Murphy continued to run, the department’s report said, and the K-9 officer ordered his dog to apprehend him. Murphy required medical attention.

The review by the chief of police said the K-9 officer gave repeated commands to stop running and was in complete control of his dog. The report conceded that “increased communications, between the initial officer and the K-9 officer may have assisted in determining the individual’s actual intent.”

Police were responding to a deadly stabbing involving two teenagers. Connor Shockley, 18, died after suffering from multiple stab wounds. Corbin Montgomery, 18, has been arrested and charged with murder.