Flood insurance tips as Hoosiers face more flash flood risks

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- From drastic tornado damage to flash floods. Hoosiers can't catch a break.

The chances for more flash floods are in the forecast this week and there are steps you can take to be prepared ahead of the storm. For starters, your homeowners insurance does not cover flooding. You need a separate policy.

"Flood insurance is actually covered through the national flood insurance program with FEMA so homeowners need to make sure they've talked to their mortgage company or maybe they do consult with their insurance agent," Suzanne Henderson with Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance said.

You can get flood insurance if your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program or the NIFP. Even if you live in a low risk area you could still be eligible for a policy even if you're renting. We know basements are usually hit the hardest.

Flood insurance covers your home's foundation elements and equipment that's necessary to support the structure like your furnace or water heater. And we saw a lot of cars floating around the area recently.

"Auto insurance is a little bit different. There's what's called comprehensive or other than collision coverage which may cover flood or hail if that's the covered loss that happens to your car," Henderson said.

According to esuranceif your car needs to be replaced after a flood, you'll usually be reimbursed for your ride's actual cash value after you pay your comprehensive deductible. So if you don't want this headache to become a financial burden insurers say get covered because you never know when a natural disaster could strike in your area.

Latest News

More News