This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — Former Park Tudor basketball coach Kyle Cox has agreed to plead guilty to coercing a 15-year-old female student to send him explicit photos.

According to court documents, prosecutors agreed not to ask for more than 168 months, and Cox agreed to ask for no less than 120 months, meaning he will spend 10-14 years in jail and pay a fine of up to $250,000 to the victim and her family. Cox must also register as a sex offender.

Cox was taken into federal custody in February. The 31-year-old, who was a chemistry teacher, was charged with one count of coercion. Cox resigned from Park Tudor on Dec. 15 after signing a confidentiality agreement.

Cox also attempted to coerce the victim into sexual activity on at least two occasions, according to court documents. The victim did not ever engage in any sexual acts with Cox. The documents state the victim’s parents found the text messages before the two had an opportunity to meet.

The plea agreement states that even though Cox will plead guilty, the court may impose the same punishment as it would if he pleaded not guilty, stood trial and was convicted. The government may withdraw from the agreement if Cox does not comply with the conditions of the agreement.

The federal complaint also raised questions about whether Park Tudor officials impeded law enforcement’s investigation and violated state law by not immediately reporting the suspected abuse to the Indiana Department of Child Services.

Park Tudor sent a letter to parents informing them of the plea agreement.

“Today, former Park Tudor teacher and basketball coach Kyle Cox joined with the United States in filing a Petition to Enter Plea of Guilty and Plea Agreement,” said the school.

The letter also said the school will support the student.

“These have been difficult times for the student and the student’s family, as well as the entire Park Tudor community,” said the school. “We will continue to support the student and will respect the legal process as it moves forward.”