Former security guards say management contributed to problems at Tyler Apartments

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDIANAPOLIS (July 28, 2015) - Months before a large party ended with gunfire inside the Tyler Apartments early Sunday morning, former security guards say they warned building managers about the dangerous conditions that were taking shape inside the popular college apartments.

They say those warnings went ignored.

A former security guard who did not want to be publicly identified said at least two staff members were contributing to the problems.

Security patrol logs and email communications between former guards and building management indicate several months of parties advertised on social media, and parties growing out of control. They described hallways that smelled of marijuana and vomit.

In October last year, an officer, along with Excise Police, busted a party that resulted in seven females being arrested for underage drinking. According to the patrol log, the party was hosted in the room occupied by a leasing agent who was employed by the Tyler Apartments. The former guard says after the bust, the building manager complained that she was not given prior knowledge of Excise planning to sweep the building.

Over several months, security guards complained about another building employee allowing young people to party on the roof and in the pool after designated hours. They warned management about parties being advertised on social media, attracting large crowds that could enter the building through security doors left unlocked or propped open.

“This became an issue because it resulted in an armed robbery inside one of the apartments,” wrote one former guard. “The suspects were guests of guests.”

There have been 225 public safety calls to 1201 N. Indiana Avenue since August 1, 2014. 206 of those were police runs, responding to complaints about loud music, parties, burglaries, thefts, fights and other assaults. 19 were Fire or EMS calls for various medical situations. Some of those included overdoses.

The security issues came to a head after a large, out of control party ended in gunfire early Sunday morning. Officers responding to the situation exchanged gunfire with three young men as the officers were climbing a set of stairs inside the building. Detectives arrested one of those men, 20-year-old Tyrice Howard Smith. Officials say other arrests were possible.

“We do intend to reach out to the property management to have a meeting to discuss expectations on safety, expectations on security,” said IMPD Lt. Richard Riddle. “And look to have a plan going forward for not only our comfort, for the security of their leases, but overall security and safety at that location. Especially as the school year starts.”

FOX59 reached the building manager on the phone early Tuesday afternoon, seeking comment on security concerns. The manager said she was busy with a resident and would call back 30 minutes later. That return call has not been made as of Tuesday evening.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News