Fox 59 takes action to get hotel up to code, stop lax smoking ban enforcement

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Concerns about health hazards and fire safety in a hotel led inspectors to discover a company-wide smoking ban violation. Fox 59 is taking action to get the place cleaned up and up to code.

A romantic getaway is what engaged couple Jeff Armour and Arizona Cowart had in mind when they rented a suite for the night. However, they said the private hot tub at the Red Carpet Inn and Fantasuites Hotel in Greenwood was just the beginning of the disturbing issues there.

“We tried to use the hot tub and upon getting around it, there is mold everywhere,” Armour said.

Armour took pictures of what he said is also mold growing up the mirrors and on the ceiling in the bedroom where they were supposed to be relaxing.

“It ruined it for the most part,” Armour said.

He said people were smoking in the hotel, which is illegal under Indiana’s smoking ban. He also claimed the smoke detector wasn’t working.

“It was popped open with no battery in it and it doesn’t look like it’s been touched in forever,” he told Fox 59.

The room wasn’t fit to stay in, but management wouldn’t do anything about it, Armour said.

Fox 59 took action. We notified the Greenwood Fire Department about the possible fire hazards. They did an inspection that day.

“They (Red Carpet Inn and Fantasuites) did allow smoking until Monday when you brought this to our attention,” said Greenwood Fire Lieutenant Tracy Rumble.

Past records indicate that Red Carpet Inn and Fantasuites Hotel has had issues keeping up with fire and electrical codes since 2011.

A letter from the city attorney’s office states, in part:

“The Greenwood Fire Department has now conducted three separate follow-up investigations and sent numerous letters explaining your code violations, yet nearly all of the violations stand uncorrected.”

However, Rumble said when they checked, the smoke detectors were working, adding that the facility is up to code.

“The fire marshal wrote them a letter to quit allowing smoking in the rooms so that was effective Tuesday,” Rumble said.

As for the room, the general manager let us inside to see that the mold was being removed.

“I asked them to stay on it and if there was mold to take care of it,” said Ahmed Mubarak, general manager of Red Carpet Inn and Fantasuites.

One of the housekeepers showed us that they were in the process of spraying mold remover on the mold, scrubbing it with a scrub brush and removing the calk so they can re-calk and make sure all of the mold is gone.

Mubarak also refunded the money the couple’s money.

Armour said he’s thankful for the refund. He wishes he didn’t have to go this far.

“They didn’t want to take any action until I contacted you then they were like, yeah, whatever you guys want, we’ll fix, we’ll be right on it,” Armour said.

In Greenwood, most businesses get yearly fire code inspections, Rumble said. However, if you are concerned about a fire hazard at a business or public building, you can contact the fire department and ask for code enforcement. You can remain anonymous.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News