BLOOMFIELD, Ind. – More testing is planned at Eastern Greene Middle School after five people were transported to area hospitals this week.
All five complained of “minor upper airway irritation,” according to the Center-Jackson Fire Territory. Several agencies were dispatched to the school Thursday in response to a “possible chemical leak/spill.” The situation had also been characterized as a “hazardous material incident.”
The incident was confined to a small area at the school, and the initial investigation found no evidence of a spill or leak. Onsite tests showed “nothing was located to cause alarm,” the department said. The school and Greene County Health Department requested additional testing to make sure the school is safe, calling the tests “precautionary” in nature.
Earlier, Greene County EMA officials said they haven’t determined the cause of the incident, but fire officials said there was not a gas leak. The state fire marshal’s office was called to the scene to assist local fire departments.
Because of the incident, the school will be closed Friday and will remain closed until further notice. Parents, students and staff should stay away until told otherwise.
“Since authorities are not sure of the cause of this incident, we are telling all persons not to come to the school,” said EMA officials. “The school will remain closed until it is determined the school is safe.”