INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (May 28, 2014)— The public is invited to a series of meetings to learn more about Gov. Mike Pence’s new Healthy Indiana Plan.
The first meeting is scheduled for 9 a.m. Wednesday, May 28, at the Government Center South.
Pence unveiled his concept earlier this month to take federal Medicaid funding and use it to expand the current Healthy Indiana Plan. The new version would be called HIP 2.0 and would aim to cover 350,000 low-income or uninsured Hoosiers. Currently HIP covers about 40,000 people in the state.
Pence is looking for support from Hoosiers before he and other state leaders submit the plan to the federal government for approval. The state is essentially asking for a waiver to use the federal Medicaid funding for a state-run program.
“I am hopeful that it will be accepted, but we have not shaken hands on the deal, we’ve had ongoing discussions,” Pence said when he spoke about the plan two weeks ago.
“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. I sense a real desire and willingness on the Pence administration’s part to get a deal done,” said State Representative Ed Clere, R-Floyd County.
There is a draft of HIP 2.0 online where the public can provide feedback via email.
Another public meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 29, at 1 p.m. at the Indiana Statehouse, Room 156-B.
After the 30-day public notice and comment phase, a finalized version of the waiver will be submitted to the federal government in June.