IFD: Squatters cooking on grill to blame for Irvington strip mall fire

Strip mall fire on E. Washington

Strip mall fire on E. Washington (photo provided by IFD)

INDIANAPOLIS — Early Monday morning, Indianapolis fire crews responded to a fire at a strip mall in the Irvington area on Indy’s east side.

Firefighters were dispatched to a building in the 6400 block of E. Washington Street around 1:30 a.m. The building is a mostly vacant strip mall that housed an H&R Block office.

Crews confirmed the H&R Block was undamaged, and the source of the fire was the unit next door. According to an IFD tweet, squatters cooking on a grill caused the fire.

IFD says the fire was under control in one hour. No one was injured.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular

Indy Now

Latest News

More News