IMPD veteran officer passes away after shootout with armed suspect Saturday night

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (July 6, 2014) — A Metro Police officer has died and a suspect is in critical condition after a shootout late Saturday night, on the city’s northeast side.

Officer Perry Renn was rushed in critical condition to Eskenazi Hospital at 9:30 Saturday night where he later passed away.

Officer Renn and another officer were responding to a report of shots fired at East 34th Street and Forest Manor Avenue. When they got there, the officers encountered a group of people in an alley. A suspect, later identified as 25-year-old Major Davis, Jr. began shooting and Officer Renn fired back. Police say Davis was armed with an assault weapon.

Both men were hit, but Renn’s injuries turned out to be fatal.

IMPD’s Emergency Response Group responded to the scene of the shooting as other IMPD officers blocked off intersections along the ambulance’s route to Eskenazi Hospital.

Renn  died of his injuries at the hospital just before 1o p.m. The suspect was rushed to that same hospital in critical condition.

In a news conference at midnight, Renn was identified as a 22-year veteran patrolman on the east side of Indianapolis.

Mayor Greg Ballard spoke, first extending condolences to the family and to the IMPD, and then talked about making changes to stop the violence.

“There’s a lot of sad people tonight, but also the emotion that’s out there is anger. We’re tired of these things that have been happening and we think it’s time we do some things a little differently.”

Mayor Ballard said police often arrest and re-arrest the same offenders and that has to change.

In that same news conference, Public Safety Director Troy Riggs said 60 percent of shooting victims refuse to cooperate with police, which is frustrating for officers, and “Yes, an officer was attacked tonight, but the city of Indianapolis was attacked tonight.”

IMPD Police Chief Rick Hite said, “We owe it to his family to honor him tonight, but we all have to roll up our sleeves to send a message to those who wreak havoc and violence.”

Police confirm Davis was armed with an assault weapon

As of 1:30 Sunday morning, Davis was listed in critical condition. He was out of surgery and preliminarily charged with murder.

To see a video of Officer Renn being honored for his service in the past, click here:


Most Popular

Latest News

More News