This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (April 13, 2015)– Monday evening, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) Chief Rick Hite and other investigators presented a preliminary series of events, following a fatal police action shooting Sunday on the city’s east side.

That shooting killed 36-year-old Mack Long, who was armed and a convicted felon.

Investigators said two officers were involved, and the second officer who showed up to the altercation was wearing a body camera. Police also said a witness nearby recorded cell phone video, too.

IMPD Police Chief Rick Hite said he’s still not sure why Long ran in the first place.

“I don’t know why Mr. Long did not comply with those commands. I don’t know why Mr. Long did not listen to the officer,” Hite said.

IMPD Officer Kyle Flynn stopped him in a car driven by Keonna Williams on Sunday afternoon. It was a routine traffic stop. Long was in the passenger seat, but police said he was fidgeting and armed with a handgun and three magazines.

Police said Long took off, climbed over Williams, and ran out the driver’s side door. Officer Flynn chased him, investigators said, and yelled commands. Officer Flynn later fired.

“As the officer is pointing his weapon at Mr. Long, he’s telling him, ‘get on the ground, get on the ground, get on the ground.’ He does not comply again. He turns his gun side away from the officer, and at that point the officer fired his weapon,” said Sgt. Columbus Ricks, CIRT Lead Investigator.

Investigators said that shot hit Long in the side. Then, the struggle moved to a nearby fence, where a shot was fired in the fight. It’s at that time, police said, when the second officer, Jered Hidlebaugh, showed up. He was wearing a body camera, according to police.

“He sees the officer laying across the fence, his feet off the ground and his hands outreached. And he’s in a struggle for his gun,” said Ricks.

Police said the second officer yelled commands then fired twice, hitting Long in the chest and forearm. Long later died.

Family members told FOX59 he was scared and probably feared getting arrested because of his record.

“They killed my brother because he ran and had a gun,” said James Long, Mack Long’s brother.

Police said they do not think Long fired his weapon in the altercation.

“The police officer could’ve used deadly force a lot sooner if he chose to, but he chose to utilize his training,” said Hite.

Hite said investigators are still reviewing the video and talking to witnesses.

“We have things that verify some of the facts we shared with you,” Hite said, “We want other things to do just that.”

IMPD said both officers involved are on administrative leave. Both are assigned to the North District, and both are five-year veterans, graduating in the same recruit class. The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office will receive the completed investigation for review for any criminal charges.

Hite said they believe Long had pills and marijuana on him at the time of the incident.

Below is the video from Monday’s press conference: