INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Indianapolis International Airport added another feather to its cap when J.D. Power ranked it highest in customer satisfaction among airports in its class.
The ranking is based on J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction survey of more than 36,000 air travelers. The airport scored 794 out of 1,000—the highest score awarded to any medium- or large-sized airport.
The J.D. Power survey measures air traveler satisfaction based on a number of factors, including terminal facilities, airport accessibility, security checks, baggage claim, check-in/baggage check and food, beverage and retail amenities.
The 2016 North American Airport Satisfaction Survey included responses from North American travelers who traveled through at least one domestic or international airport with both departure and arrival experiences during the past three months.
The study said Indianapolis International Airport “has a very open design with a lot of space so travelers aren’t crowded.”
“Customer satisfaction. It’s our ultimate metric,” said Mario Rodriguez, executive director of the Indianapolis Airport Authority. “The J.D. Power satisfaction survey is a powerful measurement of how we stack up in customer satisfaction. Every decision we make starts with customer satisfaction at the helm of our thinking, and from there everything else falls in line along the operational spectrum.”
This isn’t the only honor the airport has racked up this year. Some other awards include:
- Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards for the third year in a row
- Best Airport in North America Award from Airports Council International North America for the fourth year in a row
- 2016 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Favorite for U.S. Airports in the medium-size category,
- Second place on the Travel + Leisure Magazine’s annual World’s Best Awards among U.S. domestic airports
Here's a look at the top five in both the medium and large airport categories:
Top Medium Airports
- Indianapolis International Airport
- Buffalo Niagara International Airport
- Fort Myers/Southwest Florida International Airport
- Jacksonville International Airport
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
Top Large Airports
- Portland (Ore.) International Airport
- Tampa International Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran Airport
- Orlando International Airport
- San Diego International Airport