Indianapolis mother arrested in connection with death of daughter

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Dec. 3, 2013)– An Indianapolis mother was arrested in connection with the death of her 2-year-old daughter, announced police Tuesday.

Brittney Massey, 23, was charged with murder, battery resulting in death and neglect of a dependent resulting in death.

Officers responded to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health for a death investigation on Nov. 27, two days before Massey was arrested.  According to court documents, 2-year-old Destinee Massey had “numerous bruises and pattern injuries over all of her body, including her neck, forehead, chin, back, inner thighs, rib cage, left calf, left knee, right ear and back of her legs.” Officers also observed bite marks on the girl’s left forearm, inner thigh and on several fingers.

A doctor told authorities a scan of the girl’s brain showed there was a lack of oxygen to the brain and is consistent with strangulation or suffocation. It was also noted the 2-year-old girl appeared smaller in physical size for her age.

The girl’s mother told police she was along with her three children on the night of Nov. 26.  She said her husband arrived home around 12:30 a.m. and noticed Destinee was “groaning and gasping.”  According to the probable cause affidavit, Massey’s husband stated they should take Destinee to the hospital, but Brittney refused.  The couple then gave the girl water and put her back to bed.  Around 8 a.m., Massey’s husband woke up to find Destinee was still having problems breathing and drove her to the children’s hospital.

An autopsy was conducted on Nov. 29 and revealed the 2-year-old girl died from multiple blunt force traumas to the head, chest, abdomen, legs, arms and buttocks.

In a follow-up interview with police, Brittney Massey revealed she was attempting to potty train Destinee when the young girl urinated on the floor.  According to court documents, Massey became angry and “grabbed Destinee by the face.” Massey stated she was “tired of hearing Destinee cry so she flipped her over [on the bed] and held her face down until she stopped crying.”

Massey is currently being held in the Marion County Jail.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular

Fun Winter Activities

Home for the Holidays

More Home for the Holidays

Latest News

More News