Indy father says gunmen killed son by mistake to cover up home invasion

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Oct. 21st 2015) -- A 26-year-old man was gunned down Tuesday night inside his family home. His family believes the deadly crime was meant to try and cover up a home invasion last month.

It happened Tuesday night on the city’s northeast side.

Armed suspects knocked on the door of a home on Arthington Boulevard and opened fire, killing Richard Noel Sr.’s son. The victim’s father believes his son was killed by mistake.

“They knocked on the door and shot through it thinking it was me,” said Noel Sr.

Richard says his son Richard Noel Jr. had been an aspiring local rap artist.

Noel says last month suspects broke into his home and stole his truck.

The older Noel was able to identify one the suspects. He believes his son got shot to eliminate the dad as a witness to the break-in.

“My son died for nothing. They figured they could wipe away a robbery by doing a murder. They killed the wrong person,” said Noel Sr.

The death on Arthington is the 3rd homicide in the city this week.

On Monday a woman was murdered inside a bullet riddled home on Brookside Ave.

The same day a man bled to death in front of a home on Edgemont. That victim, 49-year-old Rodney Cannon, died after being shot in the chest.

“This is not right. I’m praying for change. I want this to stop,” said neighbor Rocsi Woodard.

That neighbor didn't know any of the three victims, but she is fed up with the deadly violence.

“This shouldn’t be normal. Why is homicide normal in Indianapolis? That’s not how you live your life,” said Woodard.

So far no arrests have been made in any of the three cases. Anyone with information on the murders is asked to contact IMPD or Crime Stoppers.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News