Update (10/3/23): In an update Tuesday night, ISP said detectives had been investigating Darmon Graves Jr. as part of an arson investigation in the 8200 block of Crousore Road in the buildup to the deadly shooting that took place on Sept. 26.

The release said Graves had allegedly pointed a firearm at a female victim and threatened to engage in a shootout if confronted by officers. This information coupled with detectives also knowing Graves had an active felony warrant led the Indiana Crime Guns Task Force to investigate the case.

The trooper and officers are all on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in the aftermath of an officer-involved shooting.


INDIANAPOLIS — One man is dead after being shot by members of an Indiana crime task force on the city’s northeast side on Tuesday evening.

According to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, the shooting occurred in the area of E. 40th Street and Keystone Avenue, just east of the Indiana State Fairgrounds, at approximately 4:40 p.m.

Indiana State Police said the shooting involved two IMPD officers along with one Indiana State trooper. All three law enforcement officers are reportedly members of the crime task force, according to state police.

State police said the task force officers engaged with an armed suspect, who was wanted on a violent serious felon warrant, in the area of 40th and Keystone. State police said the armed man exited a vehicle while holding a handgun and at least three officers fired shots.

The driver of the vehicle safely exited the vehicle before officers moved in to apprehend the suspect. The driver has been detained but is not under arrest, ISP said.

The suspect, an adult male, died from gunshot wounds at the scene. ISP said a handgun was recovered from the scene.

According to investigators, the man who was shot and killed was identified Tuesday as 42-year-old D’armon Graves Jr., of Indianapolis, who was being investigated by the Indiana Crime Guns Task Force and was wanted for an outstanding felony warrant for a parole violation connected to a serious violent felony. 

Indiana State Police said no law enforcement officers were injured.

At this time, no additional information has been released as the investigation remains active and ongoing.

This is the sixth shooting involving law enforcement officers in the Indianapolis area since the start of August.

A man wielding a machete was shot and killed on Aug. 27 following an hours-long standoff. Before that, an officer shot and killed 49-year-old Gary Dwayne Harrell on Aug. 3 as he ran away during a traffic stop armed with a weapon in his hand.

Brandon Ramirez, 24, was shot by officers on Sept. 1 during a break-in at a business on Indy’s south side that also resulted in a police K9 being stabbed. Just last week, Eric Taylor was shot and killed by an IMPD officer on Sept. 19 after police say he ignored commands to drop his weapon and threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend and her kids.

On Sept. 22, a man was shot and killed by police after IMPD said suspects opened fire at officers in the downtown area near Lucas Oil Stadium. Officers had been called to the 2200 block of S. Shelby Street in response to reports of an armed robbery of a business.

Indiana State troopers were also involved in a shooting in Indianapolis in May at a gas station on the city’s east side. This shooting left one man in critical condition and stemmed from troopers attempting to assist Morristown police with an “armed and delusional” suspect.