Man faces murder charge in connection with 2-year-old boy’s death

Indianapolis Area Crime

Diquan Williams

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Oct. 19, 2015) – An Indianapolis man now face a murder charge in connection with the death of a 2-year-old boy.

According to Indianapolis Metropolitan police, Cameron Parks, 2, went to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health Wednesday with internal injuries. The boy was unconscious at the time. He died over the weekend, IMPD said Sunday.

Diquan Williams, 21, now faces a murder charge in addition to counts of neglect of a dependent resulting in death, neglect of a dependent and battery resulting in death involving a person less than 14 years of age.

During his initial hearing, Williams was very emotional. He shouted and cried after being told he was not to have contact with his girlfriend and her children.

Williams was originally arrested around 12:30 a.m. Thursday on preliminary charges of aggravated battery and battery. He often babysat the boy at the home in the 1100 block of North Tuxedo Street, according to court documents. Williams recently fathered a child with Cameron’s mother.

According to the probable cause affidavit filed in the case, Williams told investigators that “when his anger builds up he explodes” and can’t control it. He answered “yes” when asked if he exploded on the day he inflicted fatal injuries on Cameron. Williams told investigators the boy often smeared feces on the wall; Williams said he felt the boy would have “accidents on purpose.”

Other children living in the home were interviewed by child crimes detectives. The children said Cameron’s bedroom was “horrible and it stinks.” One child said Williams would hit Cameron while the child’s mother “stood at the door laughing.”

Williams said he pushed and then punched the boy three times in the chest and stomach. The boy then “fell to the ground and was crawling and crying.” Williams then “struck him two more times,” court documents said. One of the strikes “caused Cameron to move across the room, fall and hit his head at the base of  the wall,” Williams said. The sound of Cameron’s head hitting was “loud,” he told detectives. He then left the boy in the room. No one checked on him until Cameron’s mother came home and noticed he didn’t come down for dinner.

She went to check on him and “found Cameron lying on the floor and he would not wake up.” She informed Williams that something was wrong with the boy and said she “freaked out” as they rushed him to the hospital. Court records show the boy was found at 7 p.m., but wasn’t reported arriving at the hospital until 9:05 p.m.

The boy’s mother said she was aware Cameron had bruises on his body and said she’d spanked him before. She also said the boy would smear feces on the walls. She said she didn’t call an ambulance because she knew medics would ask questions about bruises on his body.

Williams was arrested in July for domestic battery of Cameron’s mother. The woman has not been charged with anything. The Marion County Prosecutors Office said they are continuing to investigate and that the children are not currently in the care of their mother.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News