COLUMBUS, Ind. — Seven people are taken to jail following a large drug bust in Columbus. Police raided the home at 321 Hege Ave. late Friday night.
$24,000 in cash, along with a pound and half of methamphetamine worth $60,000 were seized from the home, where neighbors say they long suspected drug activity.
“I mean there’s cars day and night over there. It’s an every day thing. It was never quiet,” said neighbor Sue Burton.
46-year-old Jason Campbell is now facing a long list of drug related charges, as is 29-year-old Courtney Irvin. Five others, Jayden Campbell, David Compton, Phillip Amburgey, Eric Caldwell and Roger Leonard were arrested at the home and are charged with visiting a common nuisance.
Police say Jason Campbell has a history of drug related crimes.
“Mr. Campbell was well known to our officers and according to info from the street he was regarded as one of the largest meth dealers in the Columbus area,” said Columbus police Lt. Matt Harris.
During the raid, police also found a large amount of stolen property and pseudoephedrine, a primary ingredient in the making of meth.
Police did say there’s no evidence the meth was being manufactured locally. In fact, that is rarely the case anymore.
“Most of the meth we’ve seen in central Indiana is brought in from out of the country,” said Harris.
While neighbors are happy to hear about the bust, it’s not the first for that neighborhood.
Three months ago and just a couple of blocks away, police raided another home and arrested a husband and wife with alleged ties to Mexican drug cartels who were said to be connected to a series of raids that netted more than a dozen pounds of meth.
Columbus police now have a message for every drug dealer in their city.
“Those people who want to continue to sell drugs need to understand that they’re next,” said Harris.
All seven suspects were booked in the Bartholomew county jail.
According to the Joint Narcotics Enforcement Team, SWAT teams from the Columbus Police Department assisted in the effort, along with officers from the Bartholomew County Sheriff’s Department and Indiana State Police.
The following individuals were arrested:
- Jason C. “Soup” Campbell, 46, Columbus: dealing in methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine, possession of stolen property, possession of marijuana, possession of a controlled substance, possession of pseudoephedrine, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a legend drug, maintaining a common nuisance
- Courtney J. Irvin, 29, Columbus: possession of methamphetamine, possession of stolen property, possession of marijuana, possession of a controlled substance, possession of pseudoephedrine, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a legend drug, maintaining a common nuisance
- Jayden M. Campbell, 19, Scipio: Visiting a common nuisance; Bartholomew County warrant
- David A. Compton, 19, Columbus: Visiting a common nuisance
- Phillip B. Amburgey, 27, Hope: Visiting a common nuisance
- Eric D. Caldwell, 40, Columbus: Visiting a common nuisance
- Roger D. Leonard, 59, Columbus: Visiting a common nuisance