This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Update (Oct. 25, 2017)– Ryan Fisher pleaded guilty to a charge of perjury and was given a 16-month executed sentence.

Original story:

JAY COUNTY, Ind. — An Indiana man drove around for hours with the body of a woman who suffered a fatal overdose in his car, police say.

Ryan K. Fisher, 37, Winchester, faces preliminary charges of reckless homicide and neglect of a dependent in connection with the case.

According to court documents, officers were called to Jay County Hospital on April 5, where Fisher told them that Angela Kay Moore, 34, Union City, overdosed near a pond.

Fishers said the overdose happened around 10 p.m. on April 4 near County Road 900 North and County Road 700 East.

He said he performed CPR for “approximately three hours” in an attempt to revive Moore, according to court documents, but the effort proved unsuccessful.

Fisher told police he “didn’t know what to do” and then “drove around all night and through the day” with Moore in the backseat of the car.

He arrived at the hospital around 5 p.m. on the following day. The hospital then contacted police to investigate.

Earlier, Fisher provided police with a different account of what happened. According to court documents, He initially told a state trooper that he picked Moore up after finding her walking along U.S. 27 and asked her to go fishing.

He then claimed they argued because she wanted him to drive her to Ohio. He said he parked the car and took a walk to calm down. When he returned, he told a state trooper that he found Moore dead in the back seat.

Fisher later recanted the story and told a Randolph County Sheriff’s Office detective what really happened.

Fisher was taken to the Randolph County Jail.

The Randolph County Prosecutor’s Office said the case has been referred to the Jay County Prosecutor’s Office for a charging decision after investigators determined that Moore’s death occurred in Jay County, not Randolph County as originally believed.

The Jay County Sheriff’s Office is now the lead investigative agency in the case, officials said.

As of Wednesday, April 12, Fisher has not been formally charged.