BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — It’s a scene IU football fans traveling State Road 37 have become all to familiar with; another year of construction to deal with in getting to the game.
From Martinsville to Bloomington, a 20- mile stretch is currently being rebuilt into the “new” I-69, which will connect Indianapolis to Evansville.
And while that portion of State Road 37 was to have been completed by October, disputes with the contractor, court litigation and other factors have pushed the completion date out to July of 2017.
But for IU football fans facing another season of slow travel on State Road 37, both INDOT and the I-69 developer are taking several steps to help minimize traffic problems for those going to and leaving the games. They include:
- Suspending construction deliveries during high-traffic times,
- Patrolling the road for stalled vehicles and traffic incidents, and
- Assisting law enforcement and IU personnel at the game-day command center.
Drivers are encouraged to check traffic on their mobile mapping app before departing or using one of two alternate routes:
- I-65 down to Columbus and then take State Road 46 through Brown County to Bloomington
- State Road 67/U.S. 231 down to State Road 46 through Ellettsville then over to Bloomington