INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- Hundreds of Hoosiers are now out of a job after bars and restaurants were forced to temporarily close and events got canceled. Yet some groups are ready to hire because of the need in our community.
Gleaners Food Bank usually relies on volunteers for their projects. Now, 40 temporary workers are on the assembly line.
They are building boxes of food that will go to IPS families in need. They hope the box will provide enough food for a family of four for a week. The goal is to distribute 8,500 boxes to families every week.
"There is a hug serge in need right now for folks who are food insecure," said Joe Slater, COO Of Gleaners Food Bank.
Slater said this is really the first time they have had to hire temporary labor. They can usually rely on volunteers for projects.
"As long as convention and retail tourism business stays down, there is going to be a need for our demand for food resources," he said.
Slater also wanted to thank the community for their incredible support. Colts owner Jim Irsay this week issued a million dollar challenge to Colts Nation. He said as soon as $200,000 was raised locally for relief boxes from Gleaners Food Bank, Irsay would donate $1 million on top of that.
It did not take long to get the job job. It actually took less than 24 hours.
An online farmers market called Market Wagon also hired dozens of temporary workers. Their grocery orders tripled this week, as more Hoosiers try to stay home.
“There are people out there that are in lot worse conditions. It is affecting everybody,” Brett Butler, a temporary worker said. “I think it is about staying calm, realizing it is going to pass.”
The market's co-founder says they are still looking to hire more drivers.
"It is kind of a surreal feeling," said Nick Carter, the co-founder. "Realization that the service that we are providing is now critical ."
Other companies that have told us about their plans to hire more workers include:
- Market Wagon out of Carmel is also hiring temporary delivery drivers.
- Pizza Hut is hiring for several positions across its Indianapolis-area locations, including delivery drivers. To search for openings and apply, visit jobs.pizzahut.com or text "qualityhuts" to 242424 and follow the link.
- Meijer is adding seasonal positions across all of its stores. To view openings and job descriptions, visit http://bit.ly/3d12zwy.
- CVS is looking for both full-time and part-time employees.
- American Senior Communities needs temporary, part-time and full-time team members at various communities throughout Indiana. More here.
- There are least a dozen openings posted to the EmployIndy job board through partner organizations. Visit the EmployIndy job board for a complete listing and job descriptions: employindy.hirecentric.com/jobsearch.