Man critically injured after being overcome by pig manure fumes

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRIFFIN – A southwestern Indiana man suffered life-threatening injuries after being overwhelmed by fumes from a pit filled with pig manure.

Investigators in Posey County said the man was working in the pit Friday morning when he started to lose consciousness. They estimate that he was trapped for about 40 minutes before help arrived.

The man works for Griffin Pig. The pit is used to hold pig manure, which produces methane gas that can cause asphyxiation.

Another worker in the pit tried to rescue the man but couldn’t. When crews arrived, they used ropes to rescue the victim, who couldn’t communicate with emergency personnel.

The man was airlifted to a hospital.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News