This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Officials are investigating a fire on the city’s northwest side that killed a man Thursday night.

Three other family members—an adult and two children—got out safely. Crews were called to a home on Highland Road off West 71st Street around 11 p.m. Thursday.

Police have identified the victim as 45-year-old Jason Doan. He was originally transported to the hospital in critical condition with no brain activity present from the injuries he sustained in the blaze.

According to the Coroner’s Office, family members waited for the organ donation process to occur. Once it was completed, he was taken off life support and the incident became a fatal fire.

The children, an 11-month-old and ten-year-old, were taking to a hospital for precautionary measures due to smoke inhalation.

When crews arrived, family members told them Doan was still inside the house. Firefighters pulled him out of the home and took him to Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition, where he later died.

The two children went to the hospital as a precaution, according to Chief Rob Saunders with the Pike Township Fire Department.

On Friday night, authorities arrested a 16-year-old male for murder, arson and auto theft.

The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office will decide if he will be charged.

The home is tucked away behind some trees and has an extended driveway, providing challenges for crews to get water to the home.

“With the amount of water we carry on the engine, they were able to do what they needed to do in fighting the fire until water was able to be secured from the neighboring housing addition just down the street,” Saunders said.

IMPD is handling the investigation. Investigators aren’t ruling out arson as a cause.

“I just moved out here about three months ago and its kind of scary,” said neighbor, Yolanda Quinones. “Not knowing what was going on in the neighborhood, not too far from the street from me, and they tell me to get back in the house, we didn’t know what was going on.”