Metal drinking straw fatally impales woman through eye, brain after fall

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOURNEMOUTH, England — A 60-year-old woman died when she fell on a metal drinking straw, impaling her eye and brain, according to USA Today.

Elena Struthers-Gardner was walking through her kitchen, drink in hand, when she reportedly collapsed. During the fall, the 10-inch stainless-steel straw entered her left eye socket and punctured her brain, USA Today reported.

A coroner said Struthers-Gardner was discovered on the floor by her wife, Mandy. Mandy reportedly said it wasn’t until she turned Struthers-Gardner over that she knew what had happened.

The coroner warned reusable, eco-friendly metal straws should never be used in a way that fixes them in place; Struthers-Gardner’s straw had been fixed in a screw-top lid on a mason jar.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News