Woman severely burned after common item kept in car explodes

National & World
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

SEATTLE, WA (April 21, 2015) -- Ashes are all that's left of Matison Long's car after a freak accident left her severely burned.

Long was having lunch inside her car with a friend back on April 11 in Olympia, Wash. She says she pushed her seat back to give herself more leg room, not realizing a can of de-icer was on the floor behind her seat.

Long described the accident to KCPQ.

“It punctured the can and they said the wiring underneath the car, the electric seating, it was all perfect timing for that to go off. So it punctured it and set it on fire. I saw the fire on my arms. As soon as it happened I got out the door outside and I did stop, drop and roll. I rolled on the ground maybe for 30 seconds and then I got up and there was just skin hanging. I looked down and saw skin melting away. It was the scariest thing I have ever seen."

Matison was flown to Harborview Medical Center where she's remained for the last 10 days. She's hoping others will learn from her experience, as bizarre as it was. The family set up a GoFundMe account to help with medical bills.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News