Neighbors remember teen who died in house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.- Neighbors say the young man who died in a house fire on the east side of Indianapolis always seemed happy. Abraham Lowe was 15 years old and had been confined to a wheelchair almost his entire life. Authorities say he was not able to escape the home that caught fire on Quiet Haven Circle Thursday night.

“His uncle would put him on the bus in the morning,” said neighbor Dana Barrett, “I’d see him get off the bus when I would get home from work, he just seemed like a happy kid.”

Barrett remembers Lowe’s family as being kind, welcoming and helpful.

“This is like extended family, your neighbors are like extended family,” said Barrett. “They would look out for our house when we were out of town, they’d look out for our kids when they were outside.”

Neighbors say Abraham lived in the home with his grandmother, who wasn’t home when the fire broke out, and his cousin, who managed to escape. Firefighters say the blaze started as a kitchen fire that got out of hand.

“They’re good people, I just hate to see something like this happen to them,” said Barrett.

Lowe was also a student at Warren Central High School. Administrators there say extra grief counselors will be on hand in the coming days to help any students or staff cope with their emotions.

Latest News

More News