INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Feb. 12, 2016) – Nine people were forced out of their home after a Friday morning fire.
According to the Indianapolis Fire Department, units were dispatched before 6:10 a.m. to 458 N. State Street. Crews saw smoke coming from the home when they arrived. Firefighters had the fire under control about 30 minutes later.
According to IFD, the fire was accidental in nature. It appeared some overloaded extension cords were to blame. Three women, five men and a child were inside the home. All made it out before crews arrived.
The fire originated in a downstairs bedroom. One of the residents said she and her husband were asleep when they woke up to find a fire in their bedroom. The man tried unsuccessfully to put out the fire. He and a second man later went to Eskenazi Hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation.
Two family dogs also escaped safely, IFD said. IFD Victims Assistance is working with the Red Cross to help find shelter for those affected by the fire.
Damage was estimated at $25,000.