Officials warn against using extension cords to power space heaters after west side fire

News

Extension cords overheat and catch fire on west side (Photos courtesy of the Wayne Township Fire Department)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – An extension cord used to power a space heater overheated and sparked a house fire on the west side of Indianapolis.

The Wayne Township Fire Department says it happened in the 6300 block of Rockville Rd. Saturday morning.

According to firefighters, five children and four adults escaped the home after the fire broke out.

Officials say the home had a smoking alarm, but it wasn’t functioning.

“We are thankful the family escaped without injury,” wrote the fire department in a tweet. “🚫 extension cords. ✔️Smoke alarms.”

Most Popular

Latest News

More News