INDIANAPOLIS– The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announced the closure of Market Street between East Street and Highland Avenue started Thursday.
This for the demolition of the Market Street bridge as part of the larger North Split construction project.
The impacted area will be closed to vehicles and pedestrians. The work is expected to be completed on or after Aug. 2.
“Be patient, things are rapidly changing almost every week,” said Mallory Duncan, Communications Director for INDOT. “Demo is on schedule, we’re moving forward, everything is on schedule.”
As for why the road closures are taking place several blocks away from the bridge, Duncan says it is part of the detour on Washington Street.
“Closures are mainly so we can do all of the bridge demolitions that we need to do throughout downtown Indianapolis as part of this project,” Duncan said.
INDOT said local access will still be available between Highland Avenue and Pine Street. All other Market Street traffic, eastbound and westbound, will be detoured to Washington Street.
Access to downtown Indianapolis will be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound exit ramp to Michigan or Ohio St.
- Pine St. entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound
- I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington St.
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr./West St.
- I-65 southbound to Meridian St.
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
Find more information on the North Split project here.