Discarded cigarette blamed for fire at Irvington apartment that sent man to hospital


Photo from the Indianapolis Fire Department

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – One person was taken to the hospital after a fire at an Irvington apartment building.

Fire crews were called just before 7 a.m. to 29 S. Audubon Rd. in response to an apartment fire. Photos from the scene showed smoke coming from the roof of the building.

According to the Indianapolis Fire Department, a discarded cigarette caught fire on a couch inside the apartment. Firefighters found an unconscious man inside. The 57-year-old man told them he heard the smoke alarm and tried to get out of the apartment but collapsed.

Firefighters found him in the hall, carried him outside and began emergency breathing procedures. The man soon began breathing on his own and improved while en route to Eskenazi Hospital.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News