BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (March 4, 2014) – Last month, eight Corvettes fell into a sinkhole that opened up inside the National Corvette Museum—and now those sports cars are being pulled out.
Crews used a crane to recover two of the cars Monday from a sinkhole that may be as deep as 60 feet in some places. The first Corvette out was a 2009 ZR1 Blue Devil. The car was started up and driven a few feet after being recovered. Officials said that Corvette was in remarkably good condition.
A few hours later, a second car—a 1993 ruby red 40th anniversary Corvette—came out of the sinkhole. That car had a cracked windshield and a damaged hood. Still, it’s salvageable.
On Tuesday, crews will try to remove a 1962 black Corvette. It could take up to three weeks to remove the five remaining cars.
The museum remains open, and officials said there’s no indication of immediate danger from another sinkhole. The National Corvette Museum houses more than 30 unique Corvettes.
[protected-iframe id=”ff391e1450a109cada54a69f72ec981b-41641915-42241042″ info=”http://embed.newsinc.com/Single/iframe.html?WID=2&VID=25676427&freewheel=91057&sitesection=wxin&height=325&width=580″ width=”580″ height=”325″ scrolling=”no”]