This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett and IMPD Chief Randal Taylor held a press conference at 11:30 a.m. Sunday regarding the past two nights of protesting.

During the presser, Hogsett announced he is signing an executor order implementing a county-wide curfew starting at 8 p.m. Sunday and ending at 6 a.m. Monday. The mayor went on to say he encourages peaceful protests before the curfew begins.

IMPD reported that 29 people were arrested overnight.


INDIANAPOLIS — Protestors gathered in downtown Indianapolis Saturday, continuing their demonstrations against police violence against black Americans.

It was mostly calm as protestors gathered Saturday afternoon in Monument Circle, but the crowd has been growing by the hour. After sunset, tension began to rise and the protests turned violent, with people breaking windows and setting fires.

Later in the night, police responded to multiple shootings, including one fatality. One IMPD officer had minor injuries from an unspecified incident.

During a press conference after midnight, IMPD Chief Randal Taylor said this behavior wouldn’t be tolerated and urged everyone to go home.

“If you’re still down here tonight you are more than likely into something that you shouldn’t be and we want you to go home,” Taylor said.

IMPD pointed out they were hands-off during the peaceful protest. It wasn’t until things started to turn violent that they came out in force.

Protests have expanded into cities across the nation after a Minneapolis police officer was charged with 3rd-degree murder and manslaughter for the death of George Floyd.

Earlier Saturday, Greenwood Park Mall was forced to close after protestors threatened to rush the plaza. Police continued to block the parking lots Saturday night, trying to keep people away from the shopping complex.

See the updates throughout the night below from our live blog.