Explosion destroys house on city’s west side

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (January 12, 2015) – A gas leak has likely caused a house to explode on the city’s west side Monday morning, firefighters told FOX59 News.

They were called to a residence near the intersection of North Vine Street and Rockville Road around 1:10 a.m.

When they arrived, they found a house fully engulfed in flames with exposure to the two homes next to it.

Power lines are down in the area and Indianapolis Power & Light has cut off power.  Citizens Energy crews are on scene to deal with the natural gas situation.

According to the Wayne Township Fire Department, it sounded like an explosion when the fire broke out.

Crews also report the smell of gas in the area.

"We do have a gas leak in the home where the fire occurred," Capt. Mike Pruitt said.  "[We're] waiting on the gas company to get that gas secured so that we can finish extinguishing the fire. Once we do that, then we’re working on our plans to begin the search of the rest of this rubble that remains of the home."

Investigators were still on scene Monday afternoon to determine what caused the blast.

According to the Wayne Township Fire Department, the woman who lives in the home was out of town and is OK. She is staying with friends.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News