LOUISVILLE, KY – A Samsung phone is believed to be the reason a plane in Louisville started smoking and had to be evacuated Wednesday morning, according to WLKY.
Smoke was discovered in the cabin of Southwest Airlines flight 994 around 9:15 a.m. All 75 people were evacuated, and no one was injured, WLKY reports.
According to Louisville Metro Arson, a Samsung phone was the cause of the smoke after it overheated.
Southwest released the following statement after the incident:
Prior to Southwest Airlines Flight 994 departing from Louisville for Baltimore, a Customer reported smoke emitting from an electronic device. All Customers and Crew deplaned safely via the main cabin door. Customers will be accommodated on other Southwest flights to their final destinations. Safety is always our top priority at Southwest and we encourage our Customers to comply with the FAA Pack Safe guidelines
Southwest Airlines issued a travel alert specifically about Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones. They are asking customers to turn off the device, disconnect from charges, and protect the power switch from being unintentionally turned on.
Southwest says customers must keep their phones with them in their carry-on bags, and they should not be placed in checked luggage.
Last month, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled more than one million Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones in the United States, which can catch fire or explode when the lithium-ion batteries overheat. Samsung recalled more than 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 phones worldwide.