No evidence of physical injuries or trauma in Franklin infant’s death, police say


Scene of the investigation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FRANKLIN, Ind  – Indiana State Police (ISP) announced Wednesday an autopsy revealed no signs of physical injuries or trauma to an 8-week old infant who died Tuesday in Franklin.

ISP also said no arrests have been made and no charges have been filed in relation to the little girl’s death. FOX59 is not identifying the infant.

An official cause of death has not yet been ruled, pending toxicology test results, and the investigation is ongoing, ISP Sgt. John Perrine said in a statement.

According to police, the infant was dropped off at a babysitter early Tuesday morning in Pennington’s Mobile Home Park, just off U.S. 31.

ISP said officers from the Franklin Police Department (FPD) were dispatched to the residence for a medical emergency around 10:51 a.m.  FPD arrived and immediately attempted life-saving measures.  Police said the infant was taken to Johnson Memorial Hospital and was later pronounced dead.

“It’s a very sad situation for everybody involved, including first responders, the people at the ER,” said a neighbor who did not want to be identified.  “Anybody that was involved with the situation, including us neighbors.”

“For an infant that didn’t have even a chance in this world to have something happen to them, it kind of tears at your heartstrings,” said neighbor Scott Michael.

As part of the investigation, police conducted searches at the babysitter’s home and the Franklin home where the baby lived.  The results of those searches are not known at this time.

Pennington’s Mobile Home Park residents said the babysitter who was watching the baby has cared for children for years and there has never been any trouble that they’re aware of.

Johnson County prosecutors released a statement explaining why ISP is conducting the investigation:

“During the course of a child death investigation in Franklin, one of the persons who was being interviewed was found to be related by marriage to a FPD officer. At this point it was decided ISP should take over the investigation out of an abundance of caution and to make sure even a perceived conflict of interest did not exist.”

Most Popular

Latest News

More News