SHELBY COUNTY, Ind. – A 19-year-old in Fountaintown is fortunate that an Indiana State Trooper who was trained to administer Narcan (Naloxone) was nearby when he was found unresponsive due to a possible drug overdose Saturday.
Family members found the teen, Tanner Loveless, unresponsive and barely breathing when they returned home.
Police were called to the home around 3:30 p.m. and Trooper Jeff Stone, who was in the area, responded immediately. When he arrived, he quickly administered the dose of Narcan, a medicine that blocks the effects of opioids and reverses an overdose. Police say the nasal spray revived Loveless and he began breathing on his own.
Medics from Moral Township Volunteer Fire Department and the Shelbyville Fire Department arrived shortly after and administered a second dose. Loveless regained consciousness and was transported to a local hospital for treatment.
Officers believe Loveless had possibly overdosed on Suboxone. Police are still investigating.