Teen brothers facing charges for firing shots near Indianapolis crowd on Fourth of July

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (July 6, 2015) – Indiana State Police arrested two teen brothers after one of them fired shots near a crowd gathering to watch fireworks on the Fourth of July.

State Police say the 15-year-old and 13-year-old brothers were on the Canal near Military Park.

A large police presence was in the area as part of security patrols for the Fourth of July weekend.

“We definitely beefed up our manpower down there knowing there was going to be a large crowd of people. The potential for the risk to public safety is high in events like that,” explained Indiana State Police Trooper John Perrine.

Officers nearby heard three gunshots and quickly responded to the scene. The two teens were seen running from the area. The 13-year-old was seen placing the gun inside a backpack and then dropping it. Police located the backpack and found the gun used in the shooting inside. After a quick chase, Capitol Police arrested the teens without incident.

The 15-year-old admitted to police he was the one who fired the shots. State Police are still investigating if there was a motive behind the shooting.

“There were several people around, family, children. Obviously, these people made a decision and they acted without regard for any public safety at all,” said Trooper Perrine.

The 15-year-old was arrested for possession of a handgun without a permit and criminal recklessness with a handgun. Police also found drugs on the 15-year-old and he was also arrested on the charges of possession of a controlled substance.

The 13-year-old was arrested for possession of the same handgun.

Officers from Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, Indiana State Police, IUPUI Police, and Capitol Police all assisted in the incident.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News