FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, Ind (May 12, 2014)– An 18-month-old Franklin Township girl is listed in critical but stable condition at Riley Hospital for Children after accidentally ingesting adult medicines.
Ambulance and fire crews rushed to the home in the 5800 block of Grassy Bank Drive at 8:30 a.m., according to a neighbor.
“I heard a fire truck pull up and I didn’t know what it was and I looked out the window and they had a little girl in their arms and soon after the ambulance pulled up and they got going pretty quick,” said Samantha Richey. “I couldn’t see very well but she looked like she was moving around and they tried to hold her and keep her calm.”
Another neighbor said three generations of family live in the house.
“They’re usually outside riding tricycles around, riding around the neighborhood,” said Isaac Parris who has spotted as many as three young children at the home,” with their parents sitting out here watching them.”
The Centers for Disease Control reported in 2004-2005, 71,000 children visited emergency rooms for overdoses. Pharmaceutical overdoses account for 40% of the poisoning of children under the age of six. Each year 1 in 150 two-year-olds will be treated for accidental drug overdoses.
Metro Police are investigating whether the prescription drugs belonged to an older male in the household. Child Protective Services has also been called in to investigate.