Two people taken to hospital following Indianapolis house fire

News

Photo Courtesy: IFD

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Jan. 24, 2016) — A family of seven is without a home after a space heater catches fire and destroys a bedroom where a 9-year-old boy was sleeping.

The house fire happened in the 3400 block of Sherman Drive on the south side of Indianapolis just before 11 p.m. Saturday. When firefighters arrived on scene, smoke was showing from the rear of the house.

The Indianapolis Fire Department says two people were injured. A 60-year-old female was transported in good condition to community east for smoke inhalation.  A 9-year-old child was also transported to Riley Children’s Hospital in good condition for smoke inhalation.

IFD says the mother told firefighters there was a space heater in the back room. The space heater was running because the furnace wasn’t working. Two children apparently told one of the adults living at the residence about a cord on the space heater that was sparking. Shortly after, the family started smelling smoke. When they went to the back room, flames were visible.

There were no working smoke detectors in the house.

IFD warns everyone not to leave space heaters running unattended. When using a space heater make sure you are following the manufactures instructions. You should leave a three foot perimeter around the space heater. If the cord is damaged, throw the space heater away.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News