This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 16, 2015)– The Indianapolis Fire Department (IFD) says a blown transformer may have caused an underground fire along Massachusetts Avenue Monday night.

Fire shot up through vents on Mass. Ave. around 8:40 p.m., followed by smoke.

Indianapolis Power and Light (IPL) believes the incident occurred in an underground vault which houses transformers.

A couple walking their dog tells FOX59 that the fire burnt the whiskers off of their pet.

IPL provided the following statement to FOX59:

At 8:42 PM IPL received a report of a possible underground network event in the 300 block of Massachusetts Avenue.  IPL crews are on-scene and have reported that a primary oil chamber failed. The chamber is located within a vault. There was a report of a flash and loud bang when the event occurred. The area has been secured and IPL crews will continue to investigate the reason for the failure.