INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Dec. 28, 2015) – The Indianapolis Colts’ playoff hopes are faint, but remained alive Monday night as they looked on from the comfort of their central Indiana residences.
The Denver Broncos offered a helping hand by rallying from an early 14-0 deficit to chase down the visiting Cincinnati Bengals 20-17 in overtime on Brandon McManus’ 37-yard field goal.
The Colts did their part Sunday by posting an 18-12 win over the Miami Dolphins. But that still left them with daunting odds in what amounted to a multi-team tiebreaker parlay. According to ESPN’s Football Power Index, the odds against Indy reaching the playoffs for a fourth consecutive season were 3,300-to-1.
The first required step was for Denver to beat the Bengals. Done.
Next, the Colts (7-8) must beat the Titans in Lucas Oil Stadium while Houston (8-7) loses at home to Jacksonville. That would leave them tied atop the AFC South with 8-8 records.
The other seven events that MUST occur this weekend in order for Indy to make it to the postseason:
- Buffalo (7-8) beats the New York Jets (10-5)
- Miami (5-10) beats the New England Patriots (12-3)
- Atlanta (8-7) beats the New Orleans Saints (6-9)
- Baltimore (5-10) beats the Cincinnati Bengals (11-4)
- Denver (11-4) beats the San Diego Chargers (4-11)
- Oakland (7-8) beats the Kansas City Chiefs (10-5)
- Pittsburgh (9-6) beats the Cleveland Browns (3-12)